Easton Area Public Library
515 Church Street
Easton, PA 18042
610.258.2917
Site Search

USING THE LIBRARY MAIN LIBRARY PALMER BRANCH SOUTH SIDE BRANCH TOOLS & RESEARCH LOCAL HISTORY
Website Terms of Use
KIDS TEENS SENIORS DISTRICT LIBRARIES OUR NEIGHBORHOOD EVENTS
MOBILE CATALOG
Main Library Hours
M-Th 9am - 9pm
Fri- 9am - 6pm
Sat-9am - 5pm
Weather Closings
 
SERVING THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1811
HOME CATALOG MY ACCOUNT HOURS LOCATION \ MAP LIBRARY CARDS CONTACT US      
Our History
 
Easton Area Public Library Directors
Henry Forster Marx 1902 - 1936
James E. Bryan 1936 - 1938
Richard D. Minnich 1938 - 1948
Lester L. Stoeffel 1949 - 1955
Jane S. Moyer 1957 - 1977
Quentin De Streel 1977 - 1989
Andrew W. Levas 1990 - 2002
Barbara Bailey Bauer 2002- 2005
Jennifer L. Stocker 2005 -
The Easton Library Company was formed in 1811 when 100 shares of stock were sold to the public. Shareholders then supported the Library with yearly subscription fees. Only subscribers could borrow books. Within four years the Company could afford to pay a librarian $1.50 each month and to begin construction of a building on land donated by Samuel Sitgreaves. That red brick building still stands at the corner of North Second and Church Streets. For 90 years it served as the public library, located across the street from Easton's secondary school. At the time of the Civil War, the Company extended borrowers' status to students enrolled in the high school. In 1895 the Library Association was formed for the purpose of creating a library funded by the school board open to all residents of the city. The reorganization took place in 1901. The Library's new status allowed Easton's citizens to apply to Andrew Carnegie for a library building grant. Carnegie was so impressed with their plans that he donated $50,000 for a new building if the residents would supply the land and get the municipality to agree to continue to fund the Library's operating expenses.

The best available piece of property for a library turned out to be the oldest graveyard in town, which by that time was no longer in use. The handsome Carnegie building of blue stone from New Jersey, local bricks, and granite was completed in 1903. Patrons entered the building by climbing a stairway flanked by white marble walls to a landing of tile inlaid with patterns in green, red and yellow. Faux green marble columns supported the high ceilings. The various rooms were entered through heavy oak and glass doors topped with arched windows. The first Director set about installing a "state of the art" long distance phone. Much thought, time, and effort was put into landscaping the grounds which took several years. At one time bird houses were distributed among the trees to enhance the park-like atmosphere.

By 1911 it was apparent that more room was needed for books and a second Carnegie grant provided for additional stack space on the north side of the building. 1941 brought the addition of a "loft" of stacks built on top of the book stacks in the addition.

The Library was designated one of Pennsylvania's 28 District Library Centers in1963 and in 1968 the building was again expanded. This addition, on the east side of the building, was designed by local architect Hugh Moore, Jr. The effort of the Friends of the Library secured a National Endowment for Humanities grant in 1985 to provide for the preservation of the Library's historic materials which date from the founding of Northampton County. The collections are named in honor of the first 20th century librarian, Henry Marx, through whose efforts they were greatly expanded and enriched.

Palmer Township completed a handsome building to house a branch of the Library in 1986. South Side Easton has access to branch service at the Shull building.

The Library totally automated its procedures in 1993 and began providing Internet access to the public in 1996 quickly moving to graphical interfaces and broad band connections. The need to upgrade automation services in 2001 led Easton, along with the Allentown and Bethlehem Public Libraries and the library of Moravian College, to create the Lehigh Valley Library System, an automation consortium.

Barbara Bailey Bauer, District Consultant November 28, 2001